Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The End of Another Month.... tic toc tic toc tic toc!

The endurance phase doesn't give you much time to live on the weekend. These days I spend most of my weekends swimming, biking, and running. After work on Friday I pushed myself out of my front door and hit the street running. My run on Friday consist of mostly speed work........I ran 2 miles at a pretty fast pace for my warm up. That was followed by 3 to 4 200's and 3 100's of mind blowing sprints! I finished with a one mile cool down. Saturday morning Chris and I met up early and swam... and swam.... and swam some more! I felt a little bit water logged the rest of the day to say the least. Swims are usually fun. They are typically a variety of distances at different intensity levels. I think the total distance we swam was probably about 1.75 mi. Sunday began with a nice breakfast with my beautiful girlfriend and was interrupted by a phone call by a text from Chris stating that he wanted to get rolling. I hurried home packed my bike and running gear and headed over to the Homer residence. When I got there Chris immediately came outside ready to roll with bike and full tri attire. We got on our bikes and rode for about an hour and a half. When we finished the ride we put our running shoes on and ran 6.5 miles with a fartlek series after the first warm up mile. Fartlek is just another way of working on your speed. It is really just interval training.... fast, slow, fast slow. You get the point! I was a bit dehydrated after we ran. It took until Monday morning to start feeling better. I need to remember to drink as much water as possible. I lost about 6lbs during that day. It got pretty hot on Sunday!
          So... we are about 7 weeks away from race day. I feel comfortable, healthy, confident, and my mental state is good. This week is similar to the last. Today is a short swim day, tomorrow is a 40 mile ride, Thursday is strength training and rowing, and Friday is speed work which I  might replace with a distance run. (8 miles) The weekend gets a little crazy with a 2 mile swim on Saturday and three consecutive bike run bricks on Sunday...... and a whole lot of parading. The biggest thing I need to work on is my eating habits. New Orleans and the way we were raised to have a good time makes it hard when you are trying to do a big race. Happy Mardi Gras! 

"It was a high counsel that I once heard given to a young person, "Always do what you are afraid to do."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment