Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mental Strength

     I believe that endurance sports require at least 100 % mental strength, and also 100% physical strength. I am slowly realizing the effects this training is having on me mentally. A lot of my energy goes into training, learning, and research. As much as I would love for triathlons to be a team sport, they are really not. We pretty much train by ourselves. I have no coach and no team mates pushing me to run harder or longer. No one telling me whether or not my freestyle is correct, and no one to set up my bike for me or change my tire. We are fighting the elements, our own minds, and stretching out physical ability to the max. There are many days that I do not feel up to the required days training. No one makes me do it but me. Keeping myself motivated in itself is demanding. I feel like everyone and everything is being pushed aside because of this recent endeavor.
     Yesterday was an off day. Today I will work my lower body and core. I will most likely throw in 50 minutes or so of some form of cardio also.

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. – Epictetus

No comments:

Post a Comment