Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Horrible Diet and being Efficient in the Water


Yesterday, I hit the gym right after work. I worked out my legs, core, and did a half hour of cardio on the spinning bike. I believe in this sport it is essential to work out your legs. I try to concentrate on the muscles I will be using to run and cycle with. I am throwing in a light run after my leg workout to get me used to running after exhausting the muscles in my legs. This simulates a similar condition that I will need to be used to come race day. After cycling 56 miles you can imagine that your legs would be very fatigued. My core workout is based off of about 5 or 6 p90x ab ripper x workouts. I try to up the reps to about 25 and do at least 3 sets of each. This shit burns! I am a little sore today but that is typical. I woke up this morning with a little post nasal drip. I think I am getting sick. My girlfriend Natalie has been really sick for the last two days.... I have been trying to do my best to take care of her and keep her company. I guess I can attribute the dizziness and stuffiness to her. Hehe!
I have been struggling a lot with my diet. It is hard to count calories when your always hungry. I think my biggest problem has to be my post dinner sweet tooth. I don't really have much more weight to cut but I am trying to get down to at least 148 lbs or so before race day. I wish I had a really high basal metabolic rate, and could eat anything I wanted. Not everyone is that lucky! Most of us have to work for everything we have. My basal metabolic rate is probably close to 1648 k cal daily. That means in order for me to cut weight I need to have a deficit everyday. TRUST ME! It is really easy to eat 1648 calories. To burn 1648 calories your looking at about at least two and a half hours of a pretty high intensity cardio workout. The human body is really brilliant, an incredible design. "God does not make junk" Furthermore, I have a body fat assessment today at the gym for 4pm. This should give me a better idea of where I am now and where I need to be. It's just another way to track progress. My weight as of today is 158 lbs.
Today is a swim day! (Swim 1550 yards and 4x100 yards of swim drills for example kick drills etc.)I have done a lot of research on swimming and using my energy efficiently. I have researched breathing techniques and I believe that my form is now correct. I made some adjustments and practiced my technique on Sunday and I believe come April I will have a good swim. I am a little afraid of the open water but I think with some successful open water swims in the lake I will get the hang of it. Charlie said I could swim with him in March leading up to race day. I am sure Chris, Gina, and I will take the plunge together a couple times also.


"Strength does not come from physical capacity, it comes from indomitable will" - Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment